Monday, October 03, 2005

The NY Times discovers chavs

Thanks to Eddie, who e-mailed this to me. I had missed it.

When I was in the east of England in August I mentioned that I was learning about the "chav" phenomenon. Now that I'm an 'expert' it was great to read about them in the NY Times.
Chavs, whether rich or poor, tend to favor gaudy jewelry and expensive-but-tacky clothes with big logos and to behave in a way that others find coarse or obnoxious.

Male chavs wear tracksuits and baseball caps; female chavs pull their hair tightly back in buns or ponytails, a style known as a "council house facelift," from the term for public housing.

. . . Chav behavior - outrageous spending sprees, drunken brawls, inappropriate public displays of affection, screaming matches with loved ones in bars, destruction of property, late-night stumbling and/or vomiting - provide celebrity magazines here with much of their material.
How can you not love the NY Times? "Inappropriate public displays of affection".

(Note the picture accompanying this article; that is not a Mets cap)