Thursday, October 27, 2005

Lawlor obsession

Every new day I think I'm over the Lawlor thing, but it's eating away at me. And, what's really confusing me is that I didn't really care much about his scandals when he was alive. The Irish media has (rightly) moved on to the Ferns report, but I can't seem to let go of this thing.
  • Lawlor's funeral attracted hundreds of people.
  • The Guardian today apologized for its error in their October 24 article on Lawlor's death.
  • Julia Kushnir's lawyers say their client may pursue a libel action "against several newspapers who falsely branded her a prostitute". And, she won't now be issuing a statement until next week.
The last point first. Can Ms. Kushnir really have been libeled when she wasn't named in the original reports and the description was so far wrong (teenager, no passport, etc.)? This is just a question. I have no idea.

Next, am I the only person who's curious about the fact that nobody in the media seems to have been able to meet or even speak to this woman yet? I don't think there's been a photograph of her. And, isn't it also a bit strange that a woman who provides legal and translation services for clients from abroad doesn't have any form of web presence? At least there was none I could find. I searched google and all the listings for her name are thanks to the current newspaper articles and two references in New York State, unrelated to anything to do with this Julia Kushnir.

And, still no photograph of the car that Lawlor died in. What about an update from the Moscow police on their investigation. Anything? Do I just have to accept that I'm never going to know everything about this?