Saturday, February 26, 2005

I gotta drill holes?

Yesterday I had to buy new registration plates (license plates) for my car. Last time I took it to be tested I was told my plates were not regulation and I'd have to get new ones before the new test.

Okay, so now here I am 6 days from the test and I finally break down and go to buy the new plates. I pay my €18 (grumble, grumble) and as I'm leaving I realize that there are no holes for bolting on the plates. I look at the guy who's just sold me the plates and ask him how do I hook these on my car. He responds, "Oh, you just have to drill a few holes on each plate". You could have knocked me over with a feather. "I gotta drill holes? What?"

I left the store muttering to myself and I've been fuming ever since. This is reminiscent of the Ireland I moved to. 'Inconvenience the consumer, whenever possible' was a general rule of retail. I remember being similarly shocked when I first bought an electrical appliance and I had to cut off the plug and put on one that was actually appropriate for Ireland.

And, on top of all that, I've only now decided to read the regulations on registration plates in Ireland and I'm nearly certain that my somewhat slanted lettering is not forbidden. I've only had a cursory glance, but later I'll print this page off and digest it in full. If it says nothing specific about my style of lettering, I'll be bringing this with me on Thursday to argue my case, but I'll still be out the €18 (louder grumbling).