Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Do you believe in miracles?

Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of the 'Miracle on Ice'. USA 4 - USSR 3. Not the greatest hockey game ever, but definitely the most remarkable sporting event I ever witnessed.

Hard to imagine the scene now. There was a general feeling of gloom and defeat in the US. Economically the country was struggling, the Vietnam war was only a few years in the past, Americans were being held hostage in Iran and the USSR seemed to be eclipsing the US all over.

The USSR hockey team wasn't just good; they were the best team I'd ever seen. The American team was a collection of 20 over-achievers all hitting their peak at exactly the right time. They played well for 10 days, but on this one night they played beyond well. It was a classic sports story that would have been far-fetched if Hollywood had written the script. It was the only time I remember the whole country being entranced by a sporting event - and we were all rooting for the same team. That win really did lift the spirits of the nation.

This picture is one I'll never forget. I remember staring at it in the Schenectady Gazette the next morning. I remember there was a headline along the lines of "US slays Russian juggernaut" and I remember thinking that there was no need for a headline. That picture was all that was needed.

You can listen to Al Michaels call the final seconds here (thanks Richard). I'm still annoyed that ABC didn't show the game live. Unimaginable, isn't it?

I know I mentioned this game before when Herb Brooks died, but you can't say enough about it.

The 1980 US Olympic hockey team was the subject of a Disney Movie starring Kurt Russell, but the movie never made it over here (in cinemas or on t.v.) as far as I know. I'm sure I could get it on DVD, but I'd rather get the game itself if I'm going to buy anything.