Monday, February 07, 2005

Fountains of Wayne

As I've said a few times, I don't listen to music with the same "intensity" (that probably is the right word, although it sounds funny) that I did 20 years ago. And, I rarely pay much attention to new music. Like most older fuddy-duddies, I tend to listen mostly to records that were released during "my youth".

Having said all that, I do have a few albums by "new" (post 1988) groups. I have an album by Interpol, one by Coldplay, and the Franz Ferdinand album. I like all of them, but none of them appeals as much as Welcome Interstate Managers by the Fountains of Wayne. I just love the whole album. The music really appeals as do the lyrics. The songs are local to where I spent a good part of my younger years (NYC & north Jersey) and the songs have a great sense of place and life in that area. And, quite a few of them are really funny.

I don't process new albums through the same pseudo knowledgeable/intellectual filters (yeah, BS) that I did when I was 19. As long as the lyrics and music appeal I'm happy . And Welcome Interstate Managers really appeals.