Monday, August 11, 2003

One more thing about Tony O'Reilly . . .

The funny thing is, there are a lot of people in Ireland who have a bee in their bonnet about O'Reilly and his dominance of the Irish newspaper industry. It doesn't really bother me, to be honest. I'm more concerned about being forced as a taxpayer to fund the often anti-American and almost always anti-conservative-American news coverage at RTE.

My impression is that O'Reilly is willing to let the newspapers develop their own editorial lines as long as they're successful as businesses. Still, I've often wondered what people in Irish-America would think if they were aware of how anti-American some of Tony O'Reilly's papers are. I'm thinking mainly of the Sunday Tribune and the Independent (London). Lucky for him that the Tribune is not online and the Independent has recently put most of its comment pieces behind a subscription wall.