Tuesday, August 05, 2003

N. Ireland tourism

I've been north for short holidays a few times over the past decade. Not as often as I'd like, but as often as I can manage with the family. And, although things are improving, I can't disagree too much with Malachy O'Doherty when it comes to finding places to eat.

My first trip up there was in November 1994. I remember driving from Carrickfergus to the Giants Causeway along the coast. We went through many small towns and not one had a place to eat that my wife felt comfortable with. I was struck by the difference in the experience along the North coast as opposed to the west or south. In Galway, Clare, Kerry, etc., at that time the places to eat were significantly better. And, unfortunately, I think the gap has widened in the intervening period.

The Antrim coast is tremendous and one of this island's real gems. But, the greasy fish & chip shops and bland hotel food are not enough for the modern tourist.