Wednesday, August 06, 2003

GM foods

Former British Minister for the Environment, Michael Meacher, writes another anti-GM food piece for the Independent (London) today. He makes reference to Canadian experiences, which if he is to be believed, are all negative.

I have no brief for GM foods or any company that produces them. What bothers me is the fear of science that GM foods has engendered in people and the "certainty" that GM foods are proof that the "end is nigh". Europe was the center for scientific advances for hundreds of years, but it's now slowly becoming center for luddites and others who are just afraid of change.

By all means conduct tests and prove, if possible, whether GM foods are safe or not. The problem is I can't imagine a scientific study that isn't so politically laden that the result is not pre-determined.

I'm sure I have eaten GM foods many, many times while in the US. I haven't noticed any side effects in me nor in my friends and family at home.