Saturday, August 09, 2003

Now Huntington is news in Britain

I wonder if Mr. Farrell knew he was triggering an "international news" event when he wrote his letter to the Huntington town authorities. It doesn't matter now.

The Daily Telegraph picks up the story this morning with more little snippets of history and a picture of the offending crest. I wish the picture was bigger because I can hardly make it out on my screen.

Checking the town's web site wasn't any use either. I could only find the crest on some merchandise and the images weren't good enough to really see the crest clearly.

However, one thing that struck me when I went to the town's site is the reference to 9/11 in the upper left hand corner of the main page. You just know Huntington was one of those towns that was hit hard that day. The second anniversary is a month away. Makes all this debate over the town crest seem pretty ridiculous.