Friday, November 28, 2003

Ireland and Israel

Don't be put off by the introduction to this radio clip from October 29. Very interesting discussion (50 minutes in length) on Ireland and Israel from Israel's National Radio Station. Will be strange, even uncomfortable, listening for many Irish people. It's a perspective I've never heard on the radio here.

I'm not sure who Sean Gannon is, but he describes the Fianna Fail government as "very anti-Israel". When I first heard this, it had me wondering. I don't generally think of Brian Cowen as being "very anti-Israel" when compared with some of his fellow Dail members, but compared with members of either party in the US, he would be.

I have to admit that I'm really not sure Ireland is as anti-semitic as Sean Gannon has portrayed it. I really wish the host, Tovia Singer, had asked Alan Shatter or other prominent Irish Jews to offer their views.

Mr. Singer also proposes trying to pressure Intel, Pfizer and other big companies based here to pressure the government to shift its views towards a more Israel-friendly line.

Thanks to Michael Kelemen for this link.