Thursday, November 27, 2003

Happy Thanksgiving

Today is Thanksgiving Day. So, I'll give the rants a rest today.

George Will has an excellent history of the day in today's New York Post.

The Irish Independent has an article about Americans and Thanksgiving in Ireland.

It's always an odd day to be in Ireland. Thanskgiving Day is probably the biggest holiday in America. It's a day with virtually no commercial overtones (although a trip home for Thanksgiving last year showed me that even that is changing somehwat), other than in the sale of turkeys. It is not a day of chest thumping patriotism, like the 4th of July, but rather simple gratitude for our good fortune to live (or have been reared) in a land of such opportunity. There are no Thanksgiving presents or cards to get, no Thanksgiving blow-out parties, just one big meal with the family and football on t.v.

Of course, it's not a holiday in Ireland so there's no real chance to celebrate Thanksgiving properly here until Saturday, which is what my family will do. We'll have the big meal and the football too, thanks to NASN.

Lots of things to be thankful for this year, including my life in Ireland. Although I do love to moan and complain, I am grateful that this country provides me with a free and safe environment in which to raise my family and live my life. All the moaning and complaining is really about insignificant matters.

Finally, I'd like to wish a Happy Thanksgiving to Stella Marie, Frank & Conor, Mick, William, Dick & Jon, Karlin, Paul, Tony, the guys at Blog Irish, and, of course, all of you.