Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Survey

A survey of sorts is circulating among Irish bloggers. I'm not sure what value these things have, but Auds asked me to participate so here goes.

Gender:  Male

Age: (1-18; 19-30; 31-45; 46-60; 60+)  31-45

Nationality:  American & Irish – dual

Country of residence:  Ireland

How would you describe your political philosophy?  Government: keep it local, keep it small

Level of education (primary; post-primary; third-level; graduate; professional)  Graduate

If you were to vote on party lines which party would you choose (Ireland)?  Fianna Fail/PD's, maybe. Every time I've voted here I've gone for independents.

If you were to vote on party lines which party would you choose (UK)?  UKIP

If you were to vote on party lines which party would you choose (USA)?  Republican, although the Republicans have shown themselves to be just as fond of BIG government as the Democrats. And, the party I'd choose at the Federal level might not be the party I'd go for at the local level. The two big American political parties are less rigidly controlled than are British or Irish political parties.

Where do you stand on the EU?  I'm not really opposed to the EU in principle, but I think the current model of top down integration and excessive centralization is doomed.

Did you support the invasion of Afghanistan?  Yes.

Did you support the invasion of Iraq?  Yes, but I was opposed to the first Gulf War. I saw the 2003 invasion as finishing the bad job that was done in 1991, whch was then left to fester for over a decade.

Do you continue to support either or both of those conflicts?  Both, but I'm losing patience with this whole nation-building thing.

What do you believe is the single biggest issue facing Irish politics?  Hard to say. Everything seems peachy right now.

What do you believe is the single biggest issue facing European politics?  Demographics. Not enough babies being born, excessive dependence on the future generations to provide for the elderly through state pensions, which means dependence on large numbers of (mostly Muslim) immigrants. I still believe Muslims can be good citizens in a democracy, but possibly not the kind of democracy we're used to in Europe.

What do you believe is the single biggest issue facing international politics?  Nuclear terrorism

Are you, have you ever been, and do you ever wish to be involved in politics in a party political manner?  I've never really been involved. I've thought about it, but never did anything about it.

Who would you have voted for in the past US Presidential Election?  I voted for Bush by postal vote.