Thursday, February 02, 2006

Cut-rate colonoscopies

I love this cartoon in this morning's Boston Globe. I particularly like the look on the husband's face. He doesn't seem to share his wife's excitement over her hew found bargain.

Yet, why shouldn't people seek out 'deals' in their medical treatment?

I'll admit to not shopping around much myself, although I did once call a number of different doctors and ask what they charge for check-ups. Obviously price is not the only criteria, but why shouldn't patients inquire about cost if they've identified two or more doctors/dentists/hospitals/whatever whose competence is essentially equal as far as the patient can determine?

Perhaps someday when I need a colonoscopy (probably not a lunch time link) I'll call a few doctors and ask them what's their best cash price.