Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Shopping in the US

The Irish Independent has a 'big scoop' this morning. It seems the customs authorities are basically turning a blind eye to all the shopping that Irish people are doing in the US, not enforcing the €175 limit for gifts and other purchases. I don't see this as a big deal.

I've probably exceeded this limit a couple of times, although I'm not sure how it really works. If I buy clothes that cost €200 in the US, but then wear them before I pack them up and fly back, they couldn't be valued at €200. I mean, used clothes are barely worth anything, right?

Also, it seems to me that it would be very hard for the customs authorities to be sure that the iPod or digital video camera you're bringing into the country hadn't left with you a few days earlier. I carry a laptop computer with me when I travel. How are the customs authorities supposed to know if I bought it here or in the US? (For the record, I bought it here)