Saturday, February 18, 2006

The lunatics on the air

I was listening to the Very Last Word this morning while driving. First thing I heard was some nut case Irish Muslim convert trying to explain why Saudi society is better than our own (Irish, the west generally). I can't remember his name, but it doesn't much matter. He kept referring to his hopes that Mary McAleese will adopt Islam, "inshallah". I couldn't take him seriously and I'm not sure why anyone should.

When Matt Cooper was finished with him, I said to myself well that's my quota for listening to the insane today. Then, I went over my quota.

A few minutes later, Cooper was talking to some woman who went on and on about how some ferrets were psychologically traumatized during a t.v. show on RTE earlier in the week. They weren't injured or anything, but they did have to race against one another. This is what psychologically traumatized them. They "aren't used to studio lights, crowds", etc. They aren't trained to perform. ETC. A stupid show, without doubt, but listening to this woman I had the feeling she wanted the show's producer's prosecuted. After about 5 minutes of her whining, I started wishing the Irish Muslim convert would come back on.