Thursday, February 09, 2006

From one conspiracy to the next

I finished the Da Vinci Code over the weekend. I was wrong about that book. It's far worse than I had thought. It's no where near as good as anything (that I've read) by Le Carre. I've read a few of Robert Harris's novels and they're better too. I could get over the poor use of language in the early parts when I thought the book was fun, but as it headed down the stupid slope – at one point an old man who needs crutches to walk executes the kind of maneuver that would have stretched Batman – I just got fed up. I had to force myself to finish it. My advice – read Holy Blood, Holy Grail if you really want this story.

I'm now reading another novel, The Cold Six Thousand by James Ellroy. Why do people keep giving me these conspiracy theory novels (this one's about the Kennedy assassination). Opus Dei did it.