Tuesday, February 21, 2006

'Non-national'

By the way, the term 'non-nationals' is interesting. I never heard this until recently, possibly the past 12 months.

I was thinking about this the other day. Why is non-nationals the term of choice rather than the more traditional 'immigrants'. Does 'immigrant' have negative connotations?

Or does this have something to do with the fact that many immigrants are nationals? I figure I'm an immigrant - I moved here from another country to take up permanent residence - yet I am not a non-national as I was born a citizen of Ireland thanks to the fact my mother is Irish. Maybe the north plays a part in this too? I really don't know.

Anyway, I've heard a few people use the term with disdain. A non-national, an immigrant, a blow-in – a rose by any other name . . .