Thursday, March 03, 2005

Not another plastic alien

I'm sure I'm not the first and I know I won't be the last to mention this on a blog. Ireland's State Pathologist has revealed that once a month (on average) she is contacted by a member of the Gardai who believes he/she has just discovered a human fetus in the garbage.

Dr Cassidy said her mortuary technician knows on sight that it’s a toy. He has a wicked sense of humour, she said, and in front of the open-mouthed gardaĆ­ will throw the doll against the wall, telling them that’'s how he checks it’s not a foetus.
Look at this picture.


I can see how they make the mistake, but it's still pretty funny. And, how do the Guards react when she tells them that their fetus is a plastic alien? "They bounce".

The fact that doctors frequently make the same mistake is worrying, however.