Saturday, March 19, 2005

Hey coach!

Today I did something I never really thought I'd do in Ireland. I was coaching kids in baseball. Thanks to a tip from Jon I found out about a kids' baseball league near me.

It was a real test because a lot of what needs to be taught are the kind of things that nobody ever taught me - how to throw, slide, etc. Most of the kids are pretty raw. I was stumped at first trying to come up with words to describe what I could see was wrong. Still, some of them can obviously play and kids are fast learners. I'm really looking forward to next Saturday morning.

I can't wait for infield drill. The kids only want to hit, but infield drill is where baseball is really learned. Knowing what to do with the ball when it's hit to you is an intellectual as well as a physical challenge. I always loved infield drill when I was a kid and I hope I can pass on that enthusiasm. I also want to try and convince them to call me coach. I'm looking forward to hearing some Irish kid yell, "Hey coach"!