Friday, March 11, 2005

Comic Relief

According to this morning's Scotsman, the spokesman for the Catholic Church in Scotland has described Comic Relief as ""tacky, tawdry and tasteless". I can't say whether he's right or wrong because I don't know too much about Comic Relief's fund-raising sketches and shows other than the Celebrity Fame Academy that's been on t.v. every night for the past week or two.

This isn't really my kind of thing, but I do appreciate the fact that it's essentially a program that the whole family can watch. My kids love it and I haven't seen anything in it that's been too outrageous for children. A lot of bad singing, including some performances that should have come with health warnings, but not much more than that. I've even enjoyed the performances of Adrian Edmondson, who starred in the Young Ones way back when.

There are so few television shows that the whole family can (or would want to) watch. I think the Scottish Catholic Church should have been more selective in its criticism because Celebrity Fame Academy is the type of programming that should be encouraged.