Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I'm part of the problem

Cursive is dying. (I think it's known as joined writing here, but I'm not 100% sure of that). Apparently computers are to blame.

I'm sure the conservative position on this would be to bemoan the death of a traditional skill, but you know what? I don't care. I hardly write at all these days. When I do, it's essentially illegible to anyone but me.

I remember an incident a few months ago where I was trying to write a note to someone and I couldn't remember how to make a capital G. I sat there staring at the paper dumbfounded until I eventually used the 'print' version instead. Sister Saint James would not have been impressed.

And, of course, I dismiss all concerns about my children's handwriting when I hear their teachers tell me that their writing is not what it should be. I'm probably dooming my kids to a lifetime of printing.