Tuesday, October 17, 2006

EU-Tube

According to today's Times, the EU wants to control web videos now. The proposed Television Without Frontiers directive would require web sites to obey the same regulations as currently control television.

I'll be honest I don't know too much about this proposed directive, but I can guarantee you that it has nothing to do with extending anyone's personal freedom. When the EU proposes a new directive it's all about making sure you don't get out of line.

Based on what I see on the Irish government's web site, this directive will suit the television industry just fine. This line from the government's web site tells me everything I need to know: "Following a consultation process with those operating in the Irish television sector, the Department of Communications, Marine and Natural Resources made a submission to the Commission." So, the government asked the t.v. industry how it wanted to be regulated and, if the Times is to believed, how to control any potential threats to itself.

It's no surprise that web videos are now targeted for control. Stifling initiatives like 18 Doughty Street is, I'm sure, part of the thinking here.