First, there is no comparison with 1980. For it to come anywhere near 1980 you would need the following conditions:
- a team comprised totally of amateurs;
- the competition to be more a lot more meaningful (like the World Cup);
- the whole nation riveted, watching and rooting for the guys wearing USA on their chest;
- a semifinal match-up with the world's greatest national team and that team to just happen to be from America's primary rival on the world stage (the USSR).
- 1-0 win over England in the 1950 World Cup;
- 1960 Olympic hockey gold.