Friday, January 12, 2007

"Last throw of the dice"

That's apparently what President Bush's plan to send another 20,000 troops to Iraq is. I've read/heard that expression many times the past two days. But, clearly there is at least one more 'throw of the dice' if this plan doesn't work and that's the plan most people want - remove the troops and see if that makes Iraq better. He could also try engaging with Syria & Iran, which is demanded by some people, in an attempt to stabilize Iraq.

I guess this strategy is the most likely to succeed (of the three above), but I don't have a lot of hope. Removing the troops is simply opening the door to, first, anarchy and then, later, tyranny. Dealing with Iran and Syria is simply capitulation, which I would hate to see. Even that possible plan doesn't preclude anarchy as it is likely that Iraq's Sunni dominated neighbors may not go along with a plan to make Iran the master in Iraq. I was going to read all the words of all the opinions on this new strategy, but then I decided that it wasn't worth it. Right now praying feels more appropriate than analyzing.