Monday, January 08, 2007

Celtic tiger eats dogs

Today's Irish Independent has a story about how affluent Irish folks are getting rid of their dogs because, supposedly, the dog doesn't match the new kitchen. Or some such.

Look at the headline: SSIA-rich owners dump dogs that don't match new suite of furniture. Now, I'm sure the two people from the animal shelters are genuinely worried about abandoned pets. And, I'm sure there are some people who do abandon their pets for all sorts of stupid reasons, but I doubt there's a real fear that large numbers of people will just abandon their pets when their SSIA accounts mature because the dog won't match the new furniture.

I know this makes for a great headline, but really this is just silliness. I really don't understand why any newspaper would print such Gar-bage.