Friday, January 19, 2007

I wish I'd invented that game

I keep thinking back twenty years to a party I was at. It was a good time, but late in the afternoon Pictionary made an appearance. I had never played it before and after about 10 minutes I realized I'd have been just as happy to have kept things that way.

Still, I was curious about the game because it was such a huge hit at that time. Half way through the game a girl of about 14 blurted out excitedly, "I wished I'd invented this game". Looking at the excitement on her face and thinking about all the money that suckers across the country were paying for Pictionary I was, of course, thinking exactly the same thing.

The reason I'm reminded of that moment lately is because I had the same thought the other night when I saw my first clip from this year's Celebrity Big Brother. Three days ago I wasn't even aware that it was on again. 'Ignorance is bliss', they say, but never more so than when it comes to Big Brother.

Now it seems that CBB is all anyone is talking about. It's on the news, talk radio, and it's discussed between songs on the music stations. Nothing else is going on in the world, apparently. It was mentioned in the New York Times yesterday, which demonstrates the extent of the genius behind the marketing of the program. {I'm convinced that the whole controversy was whipped up by the program's makers, who know full well how to control and direct the people in the house. They're getting exactly what they needed.}

Just as with Pictionary, I can't abide Big Brother, but my God do I wish I'd have come up with the idea.