Friday, June 23, 2006

The Spirit of '98

Okay, so this World Cup performance wasn't as bad as the 1998 showing, but it wasn't far off it either. I didn't see the game, but from what I've read this morning the US deserved to lose. And, if there's on saving grace from this defeat (actually, I think there are many), it is that I won't have to see or hear or read about Bruce Arena again.
Arena stalked off the field after the match Thursday and later suggested that if the United States had drawn into a different group, it might have advanced.
Maybe, but I doubt it. I think Australia would have beaten the US and that was the softest second spot available. The US team scored ONE goal during the three games (Italy scored one for the US on Saturday).

And, it's about time the American press gave up on those FIFA rankings. That 5th in the world was a joke - even FIFA never believed it. If they did, then the US would have been one of the top 8 seeds.