Friday, June 09, 2006

No boycott

Okay, maybe I'm just spineless, but I'm going to watch the World Cup. I can't help myself. I love major sporting events. Besides, I saw a report on RTE the other night talking about the German obsession with the Munich Olympics and their preparations for this World Cup. Maybe they really do have security concerns, even if their decision to ban the flag on the bus seems bizarre and completely ineffective.

There's been a lot of talk on the radio here about who Ireland should support. I've devoted some space on the Newshound to the discussion regarding England, so I'll leave that out. However, it seems that the number of Poles who've made Ireland their home has convinced some members of the press that the Polish team deserves support.

Fair enough, but I half suspected that all those happy flag-wavers who support the Irish team in major championships would adopt the Ivory Coast. At least they could fly the flag, even if it has to be backwards.