Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Danish flags

Watching last night's news report of the protests against Denmark in some Middle Eastern country, I couldn't help wondering where they got the Danish flags? Do these countries have large warehouses full of flags for just such an emergency? Or maybe they have teams of seamstresses whose primary function is to produce flags of offending countries when necessary?

I mean, okay they can get American, Israeli and even British flags easily enough. I'm sure there are some French flags to hand. But, Danish flags? I can tell you that if I was given responsibility for organizing a flag burning of the Danish flag, it would take me some time to locate one.

What if the Slovenians were the offenders? Would they be able to get a Slovenian flag as quickly? What if someone official in Saint Pierre and Miquelon gave offense? Surely that flag would take a few days to reproduce.