Monday, February 20, 2006

Curling

Curling is a sport. It's a slow one, yes, but it doesn't require anyone to evaluate the artistic merit of the performance in order to determine who wins and who loses. Watching curling is kind of like watching golf.

Anyway, I saw some curling over the weekend. You know you're dealing with a minor sport when both US teams come from the same small town, Bemidji, Minnesota (population 11,917). They're all members of the same Curling Club.

One of the best things about curling is that the teams wear mikes so we can hear them strategizing and communicating during the action. I love listening to the British curlers, particularly the men. I can't understand most of what they're saying, yet I know they're speaking English. The Scottish accents are nearly impenetrable, for me at any rate. I think I understood more of what the Finns were saying to one another during yesterday's game.