Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Zorn to Largent

No, I'm not a big football (gridiron) fan. It wasn't always the case, however. I used to live and die with my favorite team.

For reasons that I can't quite explain myself, I was never a fan of either of the two New York teams, the Giants and the Jets. For a while I was a fan of the Minnesota Vikings, but I adopted the Seattle Seahawks shortly after they arrived on the scene.

They weren't very good, but they were unpredictable, exciting and always flirting with being good. And, they always beat the Jets, which was worth a lot to me in my high school days. I went to high school wearing Seahawks tee-shirts and a (probably somewhat unsightly) green-blue-silver Seahawks jacket sent to me by my Aunt in Seattle.

I loved the Seahawks in those days, particularly Jim Zorn & Steve Largent. On February 5 the Seahawks will play the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl. I know virtually nothing about this Seattle team, but I'll be rooting for them. Just, well, it would have been so much better if this had happened in 1982.