Thursday, January 26, 2006

No such thing as bad publicity?

Apparently that old adage doesn't hold water in the tourist trade, at least as far as Bundoran, Co. Donegal is concerned. The most recent edition of the Lonely Planet travel guide describes Bundoran as "one of Ireland'’s tackiest holiday resorts, a kitsch assortment of half-baked fairground rides, flashing arcades, fast food diners and overpriced B&Bs". Funny enough, that's exactly how I remember it (only the ocean is right there, which is really nice), but I haven't been to Bundoran in at least 8 years or so.

I just heard on the radio that Bundoran Town Council may sue Lonely Planet for libel. All I can say is 'good luck to them', but they should bear in mind there is always a possibility that they could lose. A jury of Irish people may well agree with the Lonely Planet.

I should add that Bundoran as I remember it is not unlike Bray, only without the overriding sense of menace that descends on my town with nightfall.