Friday, January 09, 2004

Grim reading

Yesterday, I wrote about how the US is not militaristic and that, yes, Americans were proud of those who serve in the military.

Regular readers will know I'm a fan of Zeyad's Healing Iraq web site. This story from Zeyad is very grim reading, but essential nonetheless. This is more of the "ugly truth" that Jason was talking about in November.

I hope this story is untrue, but I'm assuming it's not. I hope the military carries out a proper and thorough investigation. The military (the world over - not just in the US) can often try to cover-up such things and adopt a "we look after our own" approach. This is never a winning strategy in the long run.

I accept that these soldiers are under pressure, etc., but there's just no excusing this sort of behavior. Maybe there's more to this story than we see here? Maybe the soldiers were just stupid and thought they were being funny not realizing the risk of forcing these two young men into the river? I don't know. But, what I do know is that these soldiers are, at a minimum, not fit to represent the United States of America and, at worst, guilty of murder.