Monday, January 05, 2004

Don't hang Saddam

The Spectator's opposed to the death penalty being applied to Saddam.

I've previously whispered (I never shout about this) that I'm against the death penalty. However, when I wrote that I was referring to your average run of the mill murderers. Not Saddam.

I do think he should be executed. First of all, there is no doubt that he's guilty. So, the application of the ultimate punishment cannot be in error (as in, the wrong man dying).

Second, if Saddam remains in prison for a long while he may become (a) a focal point for terror groups — "release Saddam or else" type demands or (b) a political figure to rally around for some sections of the Iraqi population as has happened with Milosevic. I think Iraq's stability will require Saddam's death, which will be a very small price to pay.

Third, I think Saddam's victims cry out for vengeance and I suspect that nothing less than his execution will satisfy his vitims' families. I would not want to deny them that.