Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Bruton

Ever since I read this from last April, I've wondered what was going on with John Bruton. I had always thought of him as fairly steady, not one given to the use of hyperbole.

I'm sure he would argue that his criticisms of the war in Iraq were justified. However, his statement about America's social problems struck me as worthy of the most anti-American analyses.
Speaking at an event hosted by the Irish Institute of European Affairs Mr Bruton said the US' social problems would exacerbate the country’s decline: "They have an excellent elite but the middle rank is not well educated."
I wondered then and still wonder today - what does John Bruton know of education in America? And, how does it differ from what is currently being offered in Ireland?

Today, published on the front page of the Irish Times is my answer. He was playing up to Chris Patten, looking for an EU job. "Mr Chris Patten is proposing Mr Bruton as the best candidate to raise the EU's political profile in the United States".