Monday, June 11, 2007

NASN via NTL

I'm one of those people who loves reading bills to make sure all the charges are right. I don't like paying until I'm sure that what's being charged is right.

The other day my NTL bill came in and there were all sorts of changes. The changes should have been almost transparent as they relate to simply changing the bookkeeping on the charge for NASN. NASN is now part of the Setanta Sports Package and during the last billing period NTL decided to unsubscribe me (& others, I presume) from NTL and subscribe me to Setanta Sports Pack.

Not a biggie, but not everything was done as it should have been done. I noticed that I was subscribed to Setanta on April 25 and unsubscribed from NASN on May 4. For 9 days I was charged for both, which should not have happened. We're not talking about a lot of money, but it's the principle that matters and all that.

At the end of the call I asked the customer service rep if this means all who were similarly overcharged would be automatically credited with their €3. "No, they have to call us".

That answer may be legal, but it sure isn't ethical. It looks like they systematically overcharged a subset of their customer base, but they're not going to review the fees for that subset for the current billing period.