Thursday, June 14, 2007

Habemus Papam

White smoke over Leinster House finally. We have a government. Oh wait, that can't be right because there's no way that Fianna Fail's new partners would approve something so environmentally unsound as a smoky fire.

Anyway, I just can't get over the idea that Fianna Fail will form a government with the Green Party. To be honest, I'm really not happy about it, but I don't get the feeling that too many Fianna Fail voters are all that concerned. I think they just assume that their party will utter some platitudes and make a bit of noise about some environmental issues to keep the sandal-wearers happy, but not really do a whole lot that will upset things.

I'm not so sure. I always see Fianna Fail as basically non-ideological and willing to do whatever it takes to remain in power. I worry that they'll bend a lot further towards environmental wackiness than the Irish electorate has so far indicated it wants to bend.

I wish Charlie McCreevy were still on the scene. I trusted him more than most of the rest of the Fianna Fail folks.