Thursday, May 11, 2006

Who is Hillary?

The recent announcement that Rupert Murdoch is helping Hillary Clinton raise money seems to be confusing people in the media. Richard Cohen, writing in today's Washington Post, says
. . . who is this woman who wants to be the next President of the United States? Is she the wife of Bill Clinton, who we were once led to believe was more liberal than he was, or is she actually far more conservative? The answer, at the moment, is something I cannot provide.
I guess I'm not surprised at all. I think it's Murdoch and not Hillary who's confusing them.

Murdoch has been pretty strong in his support for Tony Blair and I see nothing in Hillary that's not Blair. If anything, I suspect Hillary Clinton is slightly to the right of Blair. And, this may not be how he's perceived in the US, but I've never thought of Murdoch as a social conservative. I would imagine that most Conservative Christians would be outraged by Murdoch's Times & Sunday Times, never mind the trashy Sun.

The (New York) Post & Mrs. Clinton – it could be a hit show soon.