Friday, May 05, 2006

Immigration reforms

I've been meaning to say something about the immigration marches in the US for the past week or two, but it was only when I read Mahons's comment below that I was spurred into action. And, Mahons has pretty well summed up a lot of what I've been thinking about the issue.

I am sympathetic to those who want to find a new life in America. That's a big part of what America has always been about. However, when you enter the country illegally you have, in fact, broken the law, which is far from irrelevant.

I would have imagined that this fact would make an impact on anyone who was illegally in the US. After all, illegal aliens are, through the protest marches, etc, in the process of throwing themselves on the mercy of the court. Whenever I've seen this situation portrayed in a t.v. courtroom drama, the law-breaker is usually more pleading than demanding. If the marches had been one big PLEASE, I suspect that would have played a lot better with the 'court'.

If the immigration laws are going to be changed, the changes are going to suit American public opinion. As far as I'm concerned, the border must be defended. That is a given. I'd also like to see some resolution for the millions who just want to continue to live in the country, but there can be no hedging on the fact that all 50 states are - rightfully and completely - part of the United States. Any immigrant who can't accept that does not belong in the country.