Thursday, April 27, 2006

Get rid of the castles

I know the ideas here are supposed to be "radical", but this article by Melanie Reid is just plain stupid. Her big idea? Get rid of Scotland's castle ruins.

Having just come back from a tour of Scottish castles I'm probably more annoyed than I would normally be otherwise, but the castles I saw were both interesting and attractive. Why would anyone want to get rid of them?

But, then again, what can you say about someone who could write the following nonsense:
No-one cares if a pile was once the ill-built folly of some tasteless brewery magnate, who hired the eighteenth-century equivalent of Colin and Justin to build buttresses and turrets and create something of absolutely zilch architectural merit (and even less historical worth) which, thankfully, fell down some 150 years later when the family had drunk away its fortune. Because ruins are now business opportunities. Those same mountains of hubris are now A-listed, talked about in hushed tones and protected by Historic Scotland. The heritage trail wends its way to their doors. They feature on tea-towels, boast tea shoppes dishing up instant coffee and dry scones, and provide a decent living for the pipers who play on the ramparts on high days and holidays. I mean, have you been to Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness on a hot day in August?
I didn't make it to Urquhart Castle, but how could anyone want to get rid of it? And, 18th century? All the castles I was at were 450 years old or more.

I don't know. Maybe she was only joking.