Monday, April 10, 2006

Banning Boston

New York Assemblyman Ivan Lafayette wants to ban the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles from issuing vanity license plates that promote the Boston Red Sox. Now, I'm all in favor of hurting Boston fans, but it is a complete waste of time and a senseless loss of revenue for the state government to even consider this proposal. What would be a better idea would be to double the cost of promoting an out of state enterprise, such as the Sox (and the Giants and Jets too).

To be honest, I'd never pay the extra cost to show what a great Met fan I am. The Statue of Liberty or Niagara Falls will do me fine, thanks. But, if I were living in New York State paying taxes there I'd be keen that others be coaxed into paying extra in the hope that I could save a bit. Robbing Red Sox fans sounds like an ideal place to start.