Thursday, April 28, 2005

R rated Bruce

I haven't bought Springsteen's new album yet. I'm sure I will, it's just a matter of time. I was all set to get it this week until yesterday, when I got an e-mail from a friend of mine that made me hesitant.

A couple of years ago, my friend and I had discussed how we had both played The Rising for our children. This was their introduction to Springsteen.

Before I knew anything about the new album I had mentioned to my children that I would be getting it and playing it for them. My friend's e-mail knocked me down a bit.

My friend's significantly less up-tight than I am, but he told me that one of the songs is so explicit that he can't play the album with the kids around. With a tip like that I had to go find out for myself. And he's right. I can't play the song Reno for my teen and pre-teen children. The song begins (and, yes, that's my editing in there):
She took off her stockings, I held them to my face.
She had your ankles, I felt filled with grace.
"Two hundred dollars straight in,
Two-fifty up the a**," she smiled and said.
She unbuckled my belt, pulled back her hair,
And sat in front of me on the bed.
She said, "Honey how's that feel, do you want me to go slow?"
My eyes drifted out the window, down to the road below.
Of course, Bruce is an adult writing songs that are not really aimed at the teen market. I have books in the house that are (I'm sure) more explicit than that, but that's not the point.

I had been looking forward to playing the new album for the kids. Now I have to censor Bruce Springsteen. The new album will be like some forbidden fruit, hidden away from the kids until they're old enough to be able to handle such content. Or, maybe, I just won't get it.