Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Kissing the Pope's ring

Sometimes I see things or read comments in the news that surprise me, but when I see no reaction in the media or online I figure that what I've seen isn't all that surprising really. Had just such a reaction on Sunday watching the news on Pope Benedict.

The President's brother, Florida Governor Jeb Bush, led the US delegation at the Pope's inauguration Mass. I hadn't expected to see Governor Bush kneel to kiss the Pope's ring, but he did. {I can't find a picture of the moment anywhere. This picture, which shows Governor Bush kneeling in front of the Pope, is the nearest I could find.}

When I saw Governor Bush kneel and kiss the Pope's ring my first instinct was, "Wow, what a long way from 1960". Then I remembered reading that there was some upset in Mexico when President Vincente Fox knelt to kiss John Paul II's ring a couple of years ago. I wondered what the press would make of Governor Bush's actions.

At the time I wasn't aware that the President's brother had converted to Catholicism. When I heard that it made his actions more understandable, but I was still convinced that people would be offended that the man leading the official delegation from the US had knelt before the Pope.

But, I was wrong. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. Did I just miss the reaction?