Friday, April 15, 2005

9/11 Report

I'm finally getting around to reading the 9/11 Commission Report. I've only read the first chapter, but here are a few quick observations:
  1. I'm amazed how well written it is. I had expected it to be like most government reports - dense and tedious. This report is neither. I was gripped by Chapter One, particularly the initial passages describing what happened to the four aircraft and the attempts to track them (although I don't think there was anything there that I didn't already know). I hadn't anticipated that.

  2. I was surprised at my response. My heart raced and the rage surged through me again. I don't think this is a bad thing. In fact, I think it's good to be reminded of what that day felt like. How innocent the victims were. How innocent we all were. How unprepared the government was.

  3. It was interesting (to me) to learn that that the passengers on Flight 93 probably did prevent a big disaster in Washington. I had always figured that the plane was so much later than the others that it would have been shot down if the passengers hadn't brought it down. Reading this report it seems much more likely that confusion would have prevented the Air Force jets from getting an order to do just that in time to prevent it hitting its target.
I don't know if I'll post lots or little as I read the report. I guess it'll depend on whether anything strikes me that makes me think I should post it here.