Monday, April 18, 2005

Is this really possible?

Five months ago I realized that Daniel O'Donnell had something of a following in the US. Now, I read that his recent program on Showtime* was seen by 66m people! Did these people think it was Super Bowl Sunday and just tuned in the wrong channel? What's going on here?

Mary Duff also performed on Daniel's show:
"My knees were knocking, when news of the huge audience numbers began coming in.

"But it illustrates how incredibly popular Daniel is.

"He has, in a very short time, built up a fantastic following in the States - more so than any other Irish or British artist."
I'm still trying to absorb that last statement. From what I see here that statement might be true, which is truly frightening.

UPDATE: Thanks to Richard, I now know that the program wasn't on Showtime, but PBS. And, I also know the "66m viewers" is bogus.

* Just wanted to note that for some reason Showtime doesn't allow people outside the US to view their web site. That strikes me as really odd.