Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Malicious comments by students

Somewhat related to the post directly below . . .

Teachers' unions need to accept that the internet is the bathroom wall of the 21st century. I can't believe that the unions are still kicking up about ratemyteachers.ie. Sure, I can accept that some of them might not like it, but it seems completely counter-productive to be so upset about it. I know that the site could possibly be used to post malicious comments about teachers or even other students, but isn't this just another manifestation of what is commonplace? Malicious talk and malicious graffiti have long been part of the school scene.

I would have thought that what made this web site remarkable is that nearly all the ratings and comments are very positive. Teachers could/should (if they want) incorporate the site into discussions on rights and responsibilities or they could just ignore it.

What I hadn't realized until today was that there's also a section for parents to comment. Found that thanks to the press the teachers' unions keep giving the site. I had actually forgotten about it until today's article.