Monday, May 28, 2007

Oh yeah, the results

I can't say I'm unhappy with the outcome of Thursday's vote (it would be easier to be sure if I knew the make-up of the next government). For the most part those who I wanted to see lose lost and those who I wanted to see win won.

I was a little disappointed that Michael McDowell lost. He's unlikable and, I think, more talk than action, but still I thought he was kind of useful. Lest you think I was downhearted after McDowell's defeat, you should have heard my gleeful singing when I learned that Liz O'Donnell had lost. PD's lose two and it's a result I was happy to accept. (O'Donnell and, to a lesser extent, Fiona O'Malley are the primary reason I didn't vote for the PD's.)

Overall, here's my take on the election: decent result for the economic conservative in me, a very good result for the social conservative in me and (possibly the least important, but still satisfying) an excellent result for the American in me. If only John Gormley had lost ...

I should add that despite the fact that his politics are the complete opposite of mine, I sort of wish that Joe Higgins hadn't lost. I'd much prefer to have Higgins in the Dail than John Gormley. At least Higgins is amusing.