Monday, August 29, 2005

Talk radio

For the past month or so I've been listening to a lot of talk radio from the US. Most of it of the "right wing" variety. I have to say, I'm disappointed (and, clearly, I'm not just another "left wing" person whining about talk radio – I had high hopes).

The whole political talk radio phenomenon happened after I left the US. I've heard Rush Limbaugh occasionally on vacation, enough to recognize his voice and I've heard of many of the others. I've even listened to them intermittently since I got broadband in the summer of '03.

It's only in the last month, however, that I've really spent time listening. I guess I didn't really know what to expect, but I suppose I was expecting some form of radio version of The Corner.

I read "right wing" online publications and generally enjoy them. Although there's a lot of agreement, there's also a good deal of debate. The positions, whether I agree or not, are generally reasonably stated and supported with arguments and evidence. From what I've heard of these radio programs they are so much less than that.

Maybe that's to be expected. Maybe the audience for National Review or Weekly Standard or even New Criterion is simply not the same as the audience for these talk radio programs, I don't know. Rather than engaging the listener most of it seems to be battering him into submission. Sean Hannity in particular just rubs me up the wrong way.

Programs I've tried: