Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Doubts

I've been wondering today why I am suddenly interested in all these details regarding the 9/11 Commission Report. I think the explanation is that I've come to think of that report as the final word on what went wrong that led to September 11. If the Commission omitted something, it had best be for the right reasons.

Now, suddenly, there are all sorts of rumors that the Commission might not have been as thorough as it should have been. Until this past week or so I've been able to keep my suspicions in check, but now I'm doubting the Commission. I was dubious about it to start, mostly because I never thought much of Governor Kean when I lived in NJ. However, I decided to trust the Commission and thought it had done a good job.

The fact that the Commission is bi-partisan is both a strength and a weakness. The strength comes from the fact that neither party can play politics with it, but the weakness is that if both parties have a vested interest in keeping some things from being revealed they can do so.