Monday, August 15, 2005

Atta & Wayne NJ

National Review has a link to an article in yesterday's Bergen Record in which the writer talks about Mohammed Atta's time in Wayne, NJ. I got the feeling from the National Review writer that this was the first he'd heard about a possible Wayne, NJ connection, yet it sort of rung a bell with me.

I picked up the 9/11 Commission Report again and browsed through Chapter 7, which I hadn't read before. This is the chapter that talks about the hijackers movements before September 11. If Wayne is mentioned there I didn't see it.

Anyway, when I read the Bergen Record article from yesterday it triggered a memory I have regarding Wayne and Atta. So, I went looking for it and what I found was a Bergen Record article from June 2003.

New Jersey State Police Superintendent Joseph R. Fuentes testified that Mohammed Atta "had lived in the Wayne Motor Inn on Route 23 for a year". This is the head of the NJ State police's testimony, yet nothing about Atta in Wayne appears in the 9/11 Commission Report. What on Earth is going on here?

Although this Wayne, NJ memory was there, it had receded far back because everything I'd read since told me that Atta was in Florida on flight training. If Wayne seafood store owners recognized Atta (& al Shehi) when asked by FBI agents, then it seems fairly likely that the two hijackers spent a lot of time in the area.

I'm beginning to think the 9/11 Commission glossed over the big mistakes made by the government and that people from both parties were culpable, which is the only way to explain a bi-partisan cover-up.